Date/Time: Wednesday 8:30 AM
Teacher: Saundra Cindrich
Skill Level: All
Size: 50″ x 50″
Pattern Fee: $10.00
Description: YES! It’s a newspaper quilt made of fabric! So fun! This is an easy block to make but the effect is WOW! You can use any colors you want. Perhaps your quilt will be a newspaper from Mars or some other place where they don’t use black and white. You choose!
- Rotary cutter and small mat
- The Tri Rec template rulers from wright’s or Peaky and Spike template rulers from Marti Michell. (You can often get these from JoAnn’s with a 40% coupon making them very affordable.) These template rulers have many uses so I don’t think you will mind having them!
- 6″ x 12″ ruler is a good size to bring
- I’ve used 15 different black and white fabrics, one red fabric and about 3/4 yard of Kona White as my background.
To make 16 blocks as shown:
- 3 strips of background fabric cut 3 1/2″ across WOF
- 3 strips of background fabric cut 2″ across WOF to make 4 patches
- 16 different strips of color cut 2″ x 21″ to make four patches
- 16 different strips of color cut 3 1/2″ x 10″ to make ONE block
If you use fat quarters you could cut 3 identical blocks from each fat quarter. You can also use pieces of fabric which will give you the cuts you need. I didn’t use fat quarters as such, but I didn’t want to make 3 identical blocks for this particular size.
For ONE block:
- Cut (4) 3 1/2″ squares background
- Cut (1) 3 1/2″ x 10″ strip of color
- For the four patches, cut one strip 2″ x 21″ of BOTH the color and the background